Oct7MonOctober 7, 2019
THE KINGDOM OF GOD
The kingdom, the territory ruled by a king or queen.
Questions to Engage With:
- If the kingdom of God were to come right here, right now, in its fullness, what would be different?
- What can I do to make that more of a reality?
It seems that there are a number of aspects in relation to the kingdom. We have to enter the kingdom, the kingdom has to enter us, we grow to understand and walk in the ways of the kingdom, we seek the kingdom and we partner with Christ to build the kingdom through the power of the Spirit.
ENTER THE KINGDOM:
We don't know about this kingdom of God at first because we naturally belong to the kingdom of the world which is greatly influenced and ruled by Satan. Our eyes are blinded, our hearts are veiled. The god of this age have blinded ..... But Christ's desire to take us out of the kingdom of the world and into the kingdom of God.
"Satan, who is the God of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God." 2 Corinthians 4:4
He calls us to turn to Him, the King of the kingdom, so that we lose our blindness and have the veil taken away.
"For to this day the same veil remains at the reading of the old covenant. It has not been taken lifted, because only in Christ can it be removed. And even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away." 2 Corinthians 3:14-16
"Repent (turn), for the kingdom of heaven has come near." Matthew 4:17
He draws us to the new birth in Him so that we may become citizens of the kingdom of God. Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit." John 3:5
He tells us how to experience this new birth. We must become humble little children, willing to start over, be born again like babies, belonging to our Heavenly Parent.
"Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3-4
THE KINGDOM ENTERING US:
He tells us God's heart toward us - God is very pleased to give us the kingdom.
"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32
"Indeed, the kingdom of God is within you." Luke 17:21
"For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves..." Colossians 1:13
UNDERSTANDING/WALK IN KINGDOM WAYS:
"You are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens of the saints and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the cornerstone." Ephesians 2:19-20
"Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do." Ephesians 5:17
SEEK THE KINGDOM:
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33
PROCLAIM/BUILD THE KINGDOM:
"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Matthew 16:19
"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"
"Heal the sick who are there and tell them, "The kingdom of God has come near to you." Luke 10:9
These last three parts of our interaction with kingdom are very much attached to the questions that our lead pastor, Reg Lewicki, challenged us with. Refer to them at the top of the page.
- Have you/do you regularly think about the fact that you belong to a different kingdom than this world? What is your primary reaction to this fact? Talk to God about it honestly.
- In your life circumstances/situations/choices/relationships, etc. Do you "seek" the kingdom? How is this different from praying about what you are going through? Can you pray without seeking the kingdom way of Jesus in your situation? What difference would seeking the kingdom make in your prayers? Choose one interaction, choice, situation in your life. Take some time to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the kingdom way of Jesus in it. Notice your resistance. Acknowledge it. Ask for God to bring you His grace which is sufficient right in the middle of your weakness towards the kingdom way He is inviting you into. Is God inviting you into an action? Talk to Him about this.
- Where do you see the kingdom of God in operation in you? Has He been changing an attitude, giving revelation, giving you power to obey out of love in some way? Ask the Spirit to show you and then take time to thank God.
- Where do you see the kingdom of God in operation around you? I.e. At work, in ministry, in a role, in something others are involved in? Is God inviting you to be part of this kingdom building? Is there something that you are drawn to but terrified of at the same time? Ask God to help you take one step closer to saying, "Yes." Or ask God to help you jump over your fear and just say an all-out "yes!"
Lord, I often don't think about the fact that I have actually been brought over from one kingdom to another - to your kingdom! My heart is dull; I forget that I am to seek Your kingdom in all the ways of my living. Forgive me. Fill my heart by Your Spirit to more intentionally walk in Your kingdom ways, to allow myself to be yoked with You in building your kingdom...to be yoked with my brothers and sisters to build the kingdom together. Open my eyes to my humble part in bringing your kingdom to this earth. In Christ's Name, Amen.